Today it is all about how to dehydrate cucumbers. I recently did a dehydrating class right here in St. George, Utah at a local kitchen store. It was so fun to hear the people talk about what they have been dehydrating. I love the fact that I can dehydrate most fruits and veggies when my garden is overloaded. Sometimes I purchase more veggies at the grocery store than is feasible to eat in the short term and they just sit in the refrigerator.
I have decided I need to start dehydrating them when that happens so they don’t go to waste.
You can slice the cucumbers with a knife evenly or use a Salad Shooter like this one: Presto 02910 Salad Shooter Electric Slicer/Shredder
Here is the finished product:
I snack on these and throw them into salads……no chemicals or preservatives. Just slice and dehydrate. They are ready for a snack, camping or a salad. Have you tried dehydrating pineapple?
How To Use Dehydrated Cucumbers:
1. as a healthy snack
2. puree the dried cucumbers into a salad dressing
3. throw into any fresh garden salad-they add some yummy crunchiness
4. throw some into your morning smoothies
5. they make a great soup base
Amazing Health Benefits Of Cucumbers:
1. they are high in antioxidants
2. they have anti-inflammatory properties-they help cool inflammation in our bodies
3. they manage stress because they are high in multiple B vitamins like B1, B5 and B7
4. they are fiber rich and make you feel full longer
5. cucumbers are made up of about 95% water so fresh cucumbers are a great food to help us stay hydrated
6. place a slice in your mouth-they may help get rid of odor-causing mouth bacteria
I recommend Excalibur Dehydrators
Decide what size dehydrator will work for your family. I bought the 9 tray with a timer because I knew it would last me for years. I like having a timer because I can set the timer and go to bed and it turns off automatically. Some people only need a four tray. Once you start dehydrating, trust me you will never waste food again. This is the one I have: Excalibur 3926TB Food Dehydrator, Black
Here are a few other choices that work great: Excalibur 2900ECB 9-Tray Economy Dehydrator, Black (has a timer). This one is great but does not have a timer but is still a great machine: Excalibur 2400 4-Tray Economy Dehydrator, Black
Jan (awesome reader) mentioned she got her dehydrator at Kohl’s with a 30% discount!! WooHoo!
- 1-6 Sliced Cucumbers
- This recipe is for any amount of cucumbers that you want to dehydrate. It is very simple and easy to dehydrate cucumbers. Wash, dry and slice your cucumbers and place on your dehydrator racks. No chemicals, no blanching….nothing to do but slice. This is an easy way to use up excess cucumbers in your garden or your refrigerator. They are yummy to munch on or add to a fresh garden salad.
- I used my Excalibur Dehydrator set at 135 degrees….**with the humidity today it took about 4 hours to dehydrate them.