Today it is all about how to dehydrate cucumbers. I recently did a dehydrating class right here in St. George, Utah at a local kitchen store. It was so fun to hear the people talk about what they have been dehydrating. I love the fact that I can dehydrate most fruits and veggies when my garden is overloaded. Sometimes I purchase more veggies at the grocery store than is feasible to eat in the short term and they just sit in the refrigerator. I have decided I need to start dehydrating them when that happens so they don’t go to waste.
You can slice the cucumbers with a knife evenly or use a Salad Shooter like this one: Presto 02910 Salad Shooter Electric Slicer/Shredder
Here is the finished product:
I snack on these and throw them into salads……no chemicals or preservatives. Just slice and dehydrate. They are ready for a snack, camping or a salad. Have you tried dehydrating pineapple?
1. as a healthy snack
2. puree the dried cucumbers into a salad dressing
3. throw into any fresh garden salad-they add some yummy crunchiness
4. throw some into your morning smoothies
5. they make a great soup base
1. they are high in antioxidants
2. they have anti-inflammatory properties-they help cool inflammation in our bodies
3. they manage stress because they are high in multiple B vitamins like B1, B5 and B7
4. they are fiber rich and make you feel full longer
5. cucumbers are made up of about 95% water so fresh cucumbers are a great food to help us stay hydrated
6. place a slice in your mouth-they may help get rid of odor causing mouth bacteria
Decide what size dehydrator will work for your family. I bought the 9 tray with a timer because I knew it would last me for years. I like having a timer because I can set the timer and go to bed and it turns off automatically. Some people only need a four tray. Once you start dehydrating, trust me you will never waste food again. This is the one I have: Excalibur 3926TB Food Dehydrator, Black
Here are a few other choices that work great: Excalibur 2900ECB 9-Tray Economy Dehydrator, Black (has a timer). This one is great but does not have a timer but is still a great machine: Excalibur 2400 4-Tray Economy Dehydrator, Black
Jan (awesome reader) mentioned she got her dehydrator at Kohl’s with a 30% discount!! WooHoo!