I want to share my quick and easy slow cooker Sloppy Joe’s recipe with you today. This sloppy joe mixture is freshly made from scratch and has a sweet tangy flavor. You can freeze the cooked meat ahead of time and just add the other pantry or refrigerator items when you want to make this recipe.
This slow cooker Sloppy Joe’s recipe uses some of your food storage along with whatever meat you want to use. Or substitute the meat for your favorite beans. This recipe is great with ground venison, beef, turkey, or elk.
We have a lot of game hunters in Utah, so this recipe is a family favorite. I use this slow cooker after I fry the meat with the onions. Then I can add the other ingredients to set and forget my dinner. I fried the hamburger with chopped fresh onions (I normally only use freeze-dried onions), but I had a couple of onions I used today in the pantry. Cuisinart PSC-350 3-1/2-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker
The slow cooker sloppy joes mixture is ready to serve on your favorite hamburger buns or other rolls. They are great to serve with potato chips, dip, carrots, celery sticks, and fresh fruit. Oh, and don’t forget the root beer! This is a perfect meal to take in a slow cooker to any family reunion or neighborhood get-together.
You could make this recipe with your freeze-dried hamburger as well. I would just cover the freeze-dried meat in cool water for a few minutes (I never follow the directions) and then drain it. If you don’t have time to fry the hamburger or other meat of choice, you can use rehydrated freeze-dried meat.
The ONLY time, in my humble opinion, you must follow directions using freeze-dried food would be for using freeze-dried cheese. You must use cold water with freeze-dried cheese OR your cheese will start cooking, just a tidbit of information I learned the hard way, just saying. We call those mini mistakes or learning curves.
Table of Contents
Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
Ingredients for the Sloppy Joe’s
- tomato paste
- ground beef
- brown sugar
- white vinegar
- prepared mustard, bottled-not dry
- barbecue sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
I cut the recipe down today because my girls have grown up and started their own families. This recipe is perfect for family reunions, or 3 day weekend holidays.
Gather the ingredients, and fry the ground beef.
Add the onions to the ground beef and cook through.
Add the rest of the ingredients to the frying pan or slow cooker. It’s at this point you can continue cooking the mixture or put the ingredients in a slow cooker.
Sloppy Joe Recipe
- 8 -ounce can of tomato sauce
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1-1/3 tablespoons mustard
- 2 tablespoons barbecue
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped
Brown the ground beef, bell pepper, and onion in the butter. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Serve over hamburger buns.
Homemade Hamburger Buns Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 4 cups bread flour or white flour
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry instant milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 1 tablespoon SAF Instant yeast
Preheat the oven to (425°F) = (218°C) degrees.
1. Now, you can make these in a large bowl, but I use my Bosch bread mixer or my Zojirushi bread maker. As you know, I dump everything in the mixer (yep, I'm a dumper). I wait until the bread dough pulls away from the mixer (using the Bosch).
2. I add just a little flour until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl (only if needed).
3. Now sprinkle some bread flour on the counter and knead the bread dough for about 2-3 minutes and divide the dough into 12 pieces.
4. Grease a cookie sheet or hamburger bun pan and set it aside. Now you roll the pieces into balls and flatten them with your hands.
5. Place each flattened ball onto a greased or parchment-papered cookie sheet or in the hamburger bun pan.
6. Cover the pan(s) with greased plastic wrap and let rise for about 30 minutes. Bake at 425 degrees for about 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
Let me know if you make Sloppy Joes or hamburger buns from scratch. Do you have a favorite ingredient you like to use? Thanks for being prepared for the unexpected. May God bless this world.