This is my easy to make no-fail whole wheat dinner rolls recipe. If you have freshly ground wheat and fresh ingredients these will be fluffy and so soft, I promise. This is my all time favorite whole wheat bread recipe, that also makes the best whole wheat dinner rolls. Here’s the deal, if you start with fresh ingredients anyone can make the most delicious dinner rolls or bread. You can save money on your food budget at the same time. I grew up with my mother making bread. I absolutely love the smell of baking bread coming from the kitchen. There is just something about the feel of bread dough in your hands that is so therapeutic to me. You need to be aware that the ground wheat in your local grocery stores is not the best choice for whole wheat flour. It may have been sitting on those shelves for months. It is not fresh. Check with neighbors to see if they will grind your wheat if you don’t happen to have a wheat grinder available. I’m very fussy where I buy my whole wheat. I only buy it from Lehi Mills in Lehi, Utah. Costco sells it sometimes, at least out West.
When my girls were little they would love to have a chunk of dough to play and mold their own loaf. My grandkids and “adopted” neighbor grandkids have all loved playing with real bread dough. Well, I did a post showing how to make my no-fail white dinner rolls and I received many emails asking for a whole wheat recipe dinner roll. I wrote a similar post a few years ago, but I updated it today.
Here they are ready to bake. Today I used the recipe below and made 5-one pound loaves and one cake pan with 12 dinner rolls. I make them with about 2 to 2-1/2 inches in diameter balls. I tuck the edges underneath and space them about one inch apart in the greased 9 inch by 13-inch cake pan. This is the one pound bread loaves I prefer: Fat Daddio’S 2-Piece Bread Pan Set
Here is my no-fail whole wheat dinner roll recipe. Please remember if you use fresh ingredients anyone can make bread. You really can, and you will save money at the same time! This is the pan I use: All-Clad 00830 Stainless-Steel Lasagna Pan with 2 Oven Mitts/ Cookware, Silver and the dough cutter: OXO Good Grips Multi-purpose Stainless Steel Scraper & Chopper I never “pull” or “stretch” my bread dough.
No-Fail Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
- 6 cups warm water
- 2/3 cups olive oil
- 1 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons dough enhancer NutriMill Dough Enhancer 16oz Bag
- 2 tablespoons wheat gluten L'Equip Vital Wheat Gluten Case of (6) 16 Ounce Bags
- 2 tablespoons dry instant milk
- 2 tablespoons SAF Instant Yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Real Salt
- 14-16 cups freshly ground hard white wheat flour altitude makes a difference as to how much flour you will need
- Start adding the ingredients in the order shown above with one exception into your mixing bowl…start with 7 cups of flour and slowly add more flour until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. I use a Bosch Mixer. I grew up making bread without a mixer..it can be done by hand. I grew up letting my bread rise twice, so I still do that. I mix it for 10 minutes in my Bosch. Form dough into balls and fill greased cookie sheets or 9 by 13-inch pans. Cover with greased plastic wrap. Let rise again. Remove the plastic wrap. Bake in a preheated oven @350 degrees. Bake about 15-20 minutes. I brush them with butter on the tops after baking.
Baked No-Fail Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls:
Please let me know if you try my no-fail whole wheat dinner rolls recipes, I love to hear! Thanks for being prepared for the unexpected. May God bless you and your family.