I am introducing you to an awesome recipe that I have been making for a really long time. Cream Chipped Beef is so savory that you can eat it again and again. I am not a huge fan of leftovers, but I do really enjoy eating this dish as a leftover. If you aren’t familiar with cream chipped beef, it’s simply dried beef, but it’s put in a very creamy and delicious sauce. My mouth is watering as I sit here and think about making it. This recipe is basically a white sauce (with chipped beef added), once you learn to make a white sauce you can make so many different meals.
In case you missed my Easy Homemade Biscuit Recipe
Kitchen Items Needed
- Saucepan, I have a large family so I used a 6-Quart Farberware Soup Pot
- Measuring Cups
- Cutting Board
- Steamer for the peas Pampered Chef Vegetable Cooker
Cream Chipped Beef: Step By Step Pictures
When you are making something new, it can be hard to really understand how to make it. That’s why I decided to do step by step pictures. These pictures will walk you through everything, and at the end of the day, you’ll know exactly how to make it. Let’s get started on making this Cream Chipped Beef, shall we?
Grab a large saucepan and melt the butter, stirring constantly.
Add the flour and blend until smooth. This mixture is called a Roux.
Add the milk slowly and stir constantly until the mixture starts to thicken. Add more milk if it’s too thick.
Isn’t that looking so yummy?
Add the beef and pepper, and then some sugar, if desired. I rinse the beef before I add it to the mixture since it tends to come very salty in the container. Note the beef is cut into bite sized pieces too.
Stir until thoroughly combined. Serve over biscuits or toast.
I have had cream chipped beef over toast and biscuits and it’s delicious. As you can see it’s a very versatile meal.
Cream Chipped Beef Recipe
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 gallon milk
- 2 4.5- ounce jars of dried beef (rinse and cut into bite-size pieces)
- pepper to taste
- sugar optional to taste
Grab a large saucepan and melt the butter, stirring constantly. Add the flour and blend until smooth. This is called a Roux. Add the milk slowly and stir constantly until the mixture starts to thicken. Add more milk if it’s too thick. Add the beef and pepper and sugar if desired. Stir until thoroughly combined. Serve over biscuits or toast.
What is Dried Beef Made Out Of?
As you look at this dried beef, you may be wondering what it’s made out of. According to Google, “Chipped beef is a form of pressed, salted and dried beef.” It’s a form of deliciousness that you can’t get anywhere else. If you aren’t sure about how dried beef tastes, go ahead and give this a try!
Is Cream Chipped Beef Good For You?
Just like I enjoy saying, it’s important that you eat everything in moderation. Cream Chipped Beef is not terribly unhealthy. Most people who grew up on this dish will tell you that it is truly comfort food that is enjoyable every now and again. It’s a true “will stick to your ribs” kind of food.
Why is Chipped Beef So Expensive?
I truly don’t think that chipped beef is that expensive, but some people may think it is. If you find that it’s expensive it’s because it’s mostly dried, which means it takes more meat to make bigger portions. While the meat can be expensive, I don’t find it any more expensive than other meat we consume around here.
More White Sauce Recipes:
These recipes are using 1-1/2 cups white sauce.
1. Add some tuna (drained) and serve over toast or biscuits.
2. Add 1/2 to 1 cup grated cheese and leftover pasta to make Mac and Cheese.
3. Add 1/2 to 1 cup grated cheese and serve over cooked cauliflower or broccoli.
4. Make a gravy by adding some drippings from the beef, sausage, bacon or chicken.
5. Add some chicken bouillon to make a gravy for chicken pot pie, pour over cooked chicken, onions, carrots and celery. Top with a pie crust.
6. Add 1 teaspoon of curry powder to make a curry sauce.
7. Add 1-2 sliced cooked potatoes with 1/2 to 1 cup grated cheese to make a cheesy potato soup.
8. I can make a chicken soup base with this recipe by thinning the sauce and adding some chicken bouillon to taste. Please note, I still buy cans of cream of chicken.
9. I can make a mushroom soup base by adding some cut up mushrooms and thinning the sauce with milk.
10. If you have leftover pork chops, slice them and scoop the creamy sauce over toast or biscuits.
11. You can fry up some hamburger/ground beef, season with Season Salt and pepper to taste.
12. It sounds like creamed spinach is another popular one too! Just add cooked spinach to your white sauce above.
Related: Homemade Beef Taquitos Recipe
It’s One of My Family’s Favorite Recipes
I stock about ten jars of the chipped beef in my pantry because I know 99% of the time when my family comes to visit they ask for it. It’s easy to make ahead of time and reheat as needed. Some of the kids like the bread toasted and some prefer the plain soft white bread before scooping some cream chipped beef all over the bread. The frozen cooked peas are like cherries on top of ice cream.
When my grandkids send me pictures that they made this recipe it brings me so much joy. It’s one more way to teach our family to cook from scratch. Life is so good.
The next time you’re craving something savory, you can totally make this Cream Chipped Beef recipe. It’s honestly one of the best recipes I’ve ever made. You can use it as a topping on toast or on biscuits. You can eat it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner – it won’t disappoint. Go ahead and try it and let me know what you think. May God bless this world, Linda.