I don’t know about you, but I love an easy to make Christmas breakfast casserole baking in the oven while we sip hot chocolate in our bathrobes sitting around the Christmas tree and opening a few presents. This particular recipe our family has baked every year for the holidays for a very long time. We like it because we are salsa lovers and that’s what we serve with it, along with sour cream and grated cheese. You make it the night before and bake it in the morning. Easy peasy.
Yes, it has some processed Velveeta cheese, but we only make it once or twice a year. I realize we are all trying to get away from processed food. It’s so funny because I grew up on Velveeta cheese and I still think it makes the best-grilled cheese sandwiches in the world. That’s how we roll around here.
Christmas Breakfast Casserole
- 8 slices of bread with crusts removed tear or cut into bite-size pieces
- 2/3 pound Velveeta cheese sliced
- 4 cups milk
- 8 eggs
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups of grated cheese mild cheddar is our favorite
- 6-8 slices of cooked bacon broken into bite-size pieces
- 1 package of Jimmy Dean sausage cooked and drained then cooled
- Grease a 9 by 13-inch pan and place the bread pieces in the bottom. Next, place the sliced Velveeta over the bread. Put the grated cheese on top. Blend the eggs, milk, salt and dry mustard until smooth. Pour this over the pan filled with bread, Velveeta and grated cheese. Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Combine the cooked bacon and sausage in a bag when cooled and place in the refrigerator overnight. You will use this mixture in the casserole in the morning.
- The next morning, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Remove the cover from the 9 by 13-inch pan and sprinkle the bacon and sausage over the casserole. You will need to use your fingers or a spoon to push the bacon and sausage down into the casserole so it's mostly covered. It's very moist so it makes it easy to press the meat down into the pan. Bake uncovered for 1-1/2 hours or until the eggs set.
Serve with the following items if desired:
- grated cheese
- grilled chopped onions
- sour cream
- fresh fruit
- orange juice
- hot chocolate or cocoa with whipped cream, of course
- buttered toast
- cinnamon rolls
- bagels and a variety of cream cheeses
I hope you enjoy our Christmas breakfast casserole recipe, it’s our favorite! Happy holidays and may God bless your family this wonderful time of the year.