Filled with creamy refried beans, diced onions, and melty shredded cheese, these classic Bean and Cheese Burritos are perfect for a Cinco de Mayo celebration or party. Ready in about 30-minutes, these burritos are great for making ahead of time, regular meal prep, and even freezing for later.
What is Cinco de Mayo?
Cinco de Mayo is a celebration that is held on May 5th every year. It is the anniversary of Mexico’s victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla. In the United States, Cinco de Mayo is celebrated with parades that show appreciation of the Mexican culture, particularly in the southern states where there’s a large Latino population. With those parades comes parties that include Mexican cuisine, and of course the consumption of lots of margaritas.
If you plan to celebrate the Mexican culture on May 5th this year, the best way to do it is with delicious Mexican cuisines like these classic bean and cheese burritos.
Bean and Cheese Burrito Ingredients
You really won’t need much to whip up these delicious Mexican entrees. Here’s what you will need:
- Tortillas– I used 8-inch flour tortillas, but you could use any size tortillas you prefer.
- Refried beans– Grab a couple of cans of refried beans from your local grocery store.
- Broth or cream– You want to thin the refried beans just a little so they are easier to divide between your tortillas. I used the cream, but you could use the broth as well.
- Onion– I think yellow onions add the perfect flavor to the beans and cheese. You can use any type of onion you prefer.
- Red taco sauce– Red taco sauce can be found in the ethnic section at your local grocery store. I used an off-brand, but you could use any brand you prefer.
- Shredded cheese– I used cheddar shredded cheese, but if you want the true feel of Mexican cuisine, use Queso Chihuahua cheese.
How to Make Bean And Cheese Burritos
Most of your time spent preparing this recipe is assembling the burritos. These classic bean and cheese burritos are quick and easy to whip up.
Step One: Preheat and Prep
Gather your ingredients so you’re ready to make the bean and cheese burritos. Preheat your oven to (375°F) = (190°C).
Step Two: Thin the Beans
Grab a saucepan to heat the refried beans, and scoop the beans into the pan. Add one cup of cream or broth as your preferred liquid. It will thin the beans so you can spread them easier. I had never heard about the cream being added, oh my gosh, why did I not know this secret?
As mentioned, it will thin the beans so you can spread them easier. Look how much creamier the refried beans have become.
Step Three: Warm the Tortillas
Warm the tortillas on a griddle or in the microwave. Warming them softens them makes them easier to roll.
Step Four: Assemble the Burritos
Grab a tortilla, and spread 3 tablespoons of refried beans in the center. Sprinkle some chopped onions on the refried beans. Spoon a little taco sauce on top of the chopped onions. Sprinkle some cheddar cheese on top of the chopped onions. Use your favorite taco sauce. This is my second secret, I used Taco Time sauce. Taco Bell taco sauce would work as well.
Step Five: Fold the Burritos
Fold the sides in and roll the tortillas to make them into burritos. Place the bean and cheese burritos on a cookie sheet with some parchment paper (it makes clean-up easier).
Step Six: Add Cooking Spray
Spray vegetable oil on the burritos.
Step Seven: Bake
Bake your burritos for 12-15 minutes, or until heated through.
Serve with salsa, sour cream, black olives, and guacamole. Enjoy.
Is a Bean and Cheese Burrito Healthy?
Surprisingly, burritos are pretty healthy for you. They are made with fiber-rich beans that also add a lot of protein. In fact, bean and cheese burritos pack 10.1 grams of protein. Cheese is carb-free and onions are good for you. If you want to make these burritos even healthier, use low-carb or Keto-friendly tortillas.
How Long Can Burritos Sit Out?
According to the USDA, any food that has been at room temperature for longer than two hours should be thrown away. This is because, at room temperature, bacteria grow incredibly fast. In fact, even reheating something that has sat out at room temperature for longer than two hours will not be safe from bacteria.
Do I Have to Bake Them?
Nope! If you prefer a burrito with a slightly crisp texture, you can cook them on a large skillet on the stovetop. Lay the burritos down on a hot skillet with the folded side down first. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until toasted, and then flip them over and cook them on the other side for an additional 3-5 minutes.
Storing, Freezing, and Reheating
To store any leftover burritos, place them in an airtight container or a Ziploc bag and refrigerate them. Burritos are good for up to a week in the refrigerator.
To freeze your burritos to eat at a later time, wrap them with plastic wrap and then place them in a freezer Ziploc bag. You can freeze them for up to 6-months.
To reheat frozen burritos, take them out of the freezer the night before and allow them to thaw in the fridge. Once they are thawed, you can reheat them in the microwave for 2-minutes, or bake them in the oven at 350°F for 10 minutes.
What to Serve with Bean and Cheese Burritos
I like to serve these burritos with guacamole, sour cream, or salsa. Although they are delicious all on their own, you may want to add a few sides to go with your burritos, especially if you’re making a whole Cinco de mayo meal! Here are my favorite side dish recommendations:
Bean And Cheese Burritos Recipe
- 15 Eight-inch flour tortillas
- 2- 15-ounce cans of refried beans
- 1 cup cream or broth (to thin the refried beans)
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, chopped fairly fine
- 2 cups red taco sauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat your oven to (375°F) = (190°C).
1. Grab a saucepan to heat the refried beans, and scoop the beans into the pan.
2. Add one cup of cream or broth as your preferred liquid. It will thin the beans so you can spread them easier.
3. Warm the tortillas on a griddle or in the microwave. Warming them makes them easier to roll.
4. Grab a tortilla, and spread 3 tablespoons of refried beans in the center.
5. Sprinkle some chopped onions on the refried beans.
6. Spoon a little taco sauce on top of the chopped onions.
7. Sprinkle some cheddar cheese on top of the chopped onions.
8. Fold the sides in and roll the tortillas to make them into burritos.
9. Place the bean and cheese burritos on a cookie sheet with some parchment paper (it makes clean-up easier).
10. Spray vegetable oil on the burritos.
11. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until heated through. Enjoy.
More Cinco de Mayo Recipes You’ll Love
- Mexican Pizza
- Mexican Street Tacos
- Quick and Easy Slow Cooker Mexican Soup
- The Best Homemade Mexican Lasagna
Please let me know if you make these bean and cheese burritos for your family.You don’t have to understand the significance of the Mexican holdiday to fully enjoy this Mexican meal. It’s all about cooking from scratch and eating at home. May God Bless this world, Linda