These truly are the best salads and salad dressings in the world! Do you love a fresh salad made with fresh homemade salad dressings? I sure do! I have some recipes below that are all made from scratch developed by friends and family members.
I can make these salad dressings almost as fast as I can grab a bottle from the refrigerator!
Salad Dressings and Salads
Poppy Seed by Heather
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- Mix all together. This is better if made the day before serving. I love this on a spinach or lettuce salad.
Spicy Ranch by Heidi
- 1 envelope buttermilk ranch dressing
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup cilantro-fresh-chopped
- 3 tomatillos-peeled
- 1 clove garlic-chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon
- cayenne pepper
- Mix in blender and serve. I love the spicy kick to this one!!
Oriental Salad by Elaine
- 12 tablespoons honey
- 6 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Mix all together. This is yummy on lettuce with chicken strips!
Catalina/French Copycat by Linda
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 medium onion cut into quarters
- Blend together in a blender and serve.
- One pound hamburger cooked with 1 package taco seasoning drain
- Grated cheese
- Chopped lettuce
- Kidney beans rinsed and drained
- Mix all together and pour the Catalina/French Type Dressing over the salad JUST before serving. Add bite size broken tortilla chips.
Chicken-Cabbage-Snack Ramen Salad
- 4 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- Two 14-ounce packages shredded cabbage
- 1 bunch chopped green onions
- 2 packages oriental snack ramen noodles set dry sauce pkg. aside
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 packages snack ramen seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- Mix all together and pour over salad right before serving.
I make my salad dressings in pint mason jars: Ball Jar Mouth Pint Jars with Lids and Bands, Regular, Set of 12
I use these white Ball lids: Ball Jar Mouth Pint Jars with Lids and Bands, Regular, Set of 12
My favorite funnel for making dressings: Norpro 607 Extra Wide Plastic Funnel, Green
The advantage of these homemade dressings is not only the variety of flavors available but also the ability to stir up a great dressing on short notice if surprise guests show up. You need to check out the ingredients listed above and try to have some of these items in your pantry stash at all times. I don’t worry anymore about running out of salad dressings since I’ve got all the goodies I need to make my own and are they delicious! Give it a try, you may not buy those bottles at the store in the future.