This is truly the best homemade chicken noodle soup in the world. I have made this for years and now my grandkids ask me for the recipe. The reason I think this is the Best Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup is the fact that 99.9% of the ingredients are right there in your pantry, freezer, refrigerator or food storage pantry. You can interchange some cans of chicken with frozen chicken or leftover chicken.
You can make your own noodles, or use my secret ingredient noodles: Grandma’s Frozen Egg Noodles. Of course, you can boil your packaged noodles/pasta of choice and add later when the soup is almost finished cooking. I use my electric crock pot so I can do other things because I usually have ten things going on at once. So I set the crockpot on low and go about my day doing stuff we all do each day. I call it my set and forget dinner. It really is a very yummy smooth soup with just the right amount of spices. It practically fills my 3-1/2 quart crock pot. It’s a great soup to take to a neighbor who is ill or needs a little something from a friend to cheer them up for any reason.
Here is a picture of the Better Than Bouillon I use:
Grandma’s Frozen Egg Noodles:
- 2 cans of chicken (12.5 ounces each drained or substitute 2 cups of cooked chicken)
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 cup Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base or substitute equal amounts of water with chicken broth
- 3/4 cup freeze-dried onions or 1 fresh onion chopped into bite-size pieces
- 3/4 cup dry dehydrated carrots or 1-1/2 cups diced fresh carrots
- 3/4 cup dry freeze dried celery or 1-1/2 cups diced fresh celery
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried sweet basil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 package Grandma’s frozen egg noodles (11-ounces cooked and separated as directed or boil your pasta of choice)
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup undiluted (optional)
Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours, BUT add the Grandma’s Noodle the last two hours or they will be mushy. Enjoy!