Some human foods may seem harmless to feed our dogs, but they can actually be very dangerous. My two dogs, Bentley and Bailey, are Shih Tzus and I wanted to research what is safe to feed dogs and what is unsafe to give them. I put together a list for you in case you have four-legged puppies like I do.
I went this morning to a local pet store for some new ideas on options for healthier dog food brands and types. I love supporting the locals in every way I can. Natalie owns the store and the staff is so awesome you feel like family when you walk in there. That’s why I keep going back, plus they know tips to keep our dogs healthy. This is Bentley below. I was prompted to do some dog food research and write this blog post today due to the current challenge we have with our puppies and their poops. Generally, things have been great, but for some reason, they are both experiencing some less than solid poops. It hasn’t been fun checking up on things and then having to clean up. Hoping the new food we got today will help. If not, we’ll be off to visit our favorite local vet.
11 Foods Dogs Should Not Eat
Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine which are toxic to pets. The darker the chocolate the more dangerous it is. If a dog eats chocolate it can cause vomiting, dehydration, elevated body temperatures, seizures, and death. Thank goodness I’m not a dog, I love chocolate.
It’s not entirely known why grapes are toxic to dogs, but the chemicals and compounds toxicity consumed can be pretty devastating. Please be careful with small children who may have some raisins in their lunch boxes or eating as snacks. The dogs may vomit, have diarrhea, stop eating, become dehydrated, and actually have kidney failure if consumed.
Yikes, these are really dangerous. They make our eyes water, but they can damage the red blood cells of our pets. If they ingest too many pieces of onion they may need a blood transfusion.
The skins of avocados, the pits, leaves, and fruit contain persin. They can cause an upset stomach, breathing difficulties, and fluid may build up in their chest. The pit is the most dangerous because dogs may think it’s a ball or toy and can choke on it because it’s slippery from the fruit and can lodge in their throats.
5. Apple Cores
My dogs love small pieces of apples, Mark loves giving them to our puppies. Of course, their tails wag in anticipation of the plate served with a few morsels on it. It’s the core of the apple that is toxic. The seeds contain cyanide. Please watch out for those cores that might be left on the coffee table. To be safe, throw the core out as soon as you eat the apple.
Bacon is high in fat and can cause pancreatitis in our four-legged friends. I had heard they couldn’t have bacon, but now I know why. It’s so high in fat content they can’t digest it properly. So, the next time you feel tempted to give your dogs a slice of bacon under the table, think again.
7. Raw Potatoes
Potatoes (nightshade veggies) contain solanine which is toxic to animals. I read where if they are boiled or cooked the amount of solanine from the heat diminishes. I know we may be tempted to give those sweet pets a small piece while chopping them on the counter, but it may not be a wise decision.
Garlic is part of the onion family and is stronger in flavor per ounce and very toxic to dogs. The dog’s urine will become dark colored in a few days and the pet will become tired and lethargic. Onions or garlic may cause a pet to need a blood transfusion because it will disrupt their red blood cells.
9. Corn on the Cob
Corn cobs are frequently given to dogs at barbecues. You may not want to give Fido the cob from that yummy corn you finished eating. The cob may get ingested and the results would be devastating as you can imagine. If the dog is heaving or trying to vomit after ingesting a cob, take the pet to your veterinarian ASAP.
This one is interesting because it’s not the red part of the tomato but the green part contains solanine like potatoes. Unripened tomatoes are the most toxic to pets. I can still remember seeing tomato seeds on one of my Shih Tzu’s face, you know the look, like, what??? Those puppies can get into our gardens and eat those cherry tomatoes thinking I won’t see the seeds on their chins, oh my gosh! I giggle every time, but I will make sure they can’t reach my green tomatoes from now on, that’s for sure.
11. Almonds, Pecans, Walnuts & Macadamia Nuts
I know people who fill dog toys with peanut butter, I have never done that only because I don’t want to clean the rubber toy. Well, it’s not entirely known why, but it’s assumed to be the high-fat content of the nuts. They can cause our dogs to vomit, disrupt their digestion, cause diarrhea, and depression. Wow!
We try to figure out why we get an upset tummy from time to time. Was it something we ate, a flu bug, an allergy, or what? Pets can experience the same uncomfortable feelings. If the pet acts differently, their stool consistency changes or they start to throw up, you may need to make a trip to the pet vet. The hot days ahead can also affect your pet if left out in the hot weather. Good luck with your efforts to help keep these special family members safe and healthy!
You may want to think about putting together an emergency 72-hour kit for your small dogs, cats, or other animals.
Safety Items for Pets:
Chocolate: AdobeStock_110607823 by Grafvision, Grapes: AdobeStock_25953124 by Subbotina Anna, Onions: AdobeStock_71659175 by Printemps, Avocados: AdobeStock_79978154 by Nata_Vkusidey, Apple Cores: AdobeStock_87934445 by Hookmedia, Bacon: AdobeStock_82943959 by MSPhotographic, Potatoes: AdobeStock_81391773 by Nblxer, Onions/Garlic: AdobeStock_194630241 by SauravG, Corn on the Cob: AdobeStock_24866279 by 14KTGold, Tomatoes: AdobeStock_69276511 by Mara Zemgaliete, Nuts: AdobeStock_54884259 by dream79
Subscribe To My Posts:
This post may contain affiliate links, including Amazon.com. Using links to these sites means I may earn a small percentage of the purchase at no extra cost to you.