I have been wanting to test one of these Saratoga Jacks 7L Thermal Cooker Deluxe containers. I recently talked to “Jack” and Amy about their product. I saw one of these demonstrated on one of my favorite blogs by Julene. I called and talked to Jack for a few minutes and then a few more minutes with Amy. They teach classes at Honeyville and I guess just about everywhere. I am going to one of their demo’s in two weeks. But I decided after talking to Amy…that oh my goodness this sounds like an awesome product. This Thermal Cooker saves on fuel and energy and is totally portable!!
I ordered mine and it came today. Amy said you can make COLD salads and put them in the frig overnight in the stainless steel pots (two pots that are stackable) with the lid on. In the morning you can immediately put them in the thermal container..shut the lid and they will keep cold for hours. Summer picnics, reunions, etc. here we come!!!
Okay now back to the HOT side of things. I am thinking I need to buy a second one….one for HOT…one for COLD…are you with me??? Yeah a whole meal…here’s the deal about the HOT side of the thermal cooker. Of course, you will want to brown the meat in a little oil and add the veggies you want …cover with water…I read the instructions that state the fuller the pot is the better it cooks. You bring the water or liquid with bouillon and seasonings to a FULL boil for 4 minutes. Immediately put the lid on and place in the thermal cooker. No electriciy neeeded. You can take it in the car and it will cook at the ball game. You can leave it at home on the counter while you sew or quilt, etc. Yippee! I will post my recipes soon!
Here are The five steps to successful Meals with a Saratoaga Jack’s Thermal Cooker: (condensed)
1. Always thaw the food (frozen will not work) before placing in the thermal cooker
2. Make sure ingredients are covered in liquid and bring to an even boil for at least 4 minutes (read the instructions they talk about when to add thickener, etc.)
3. Fill the thermal cooker as full as possible. Air is the enemy to heat retention. It performs better with less air….
4. Check the temperature of the food before serving. Please follow the instructions included to make it a safe slow cooker.
5. Start your dinner at the appropriate time….if dinner is at six…get it started early…remember it’s a SLOW cooker! Pot roasts can take up to eight hours (depending on the size)
This is a great product not just to have for emergencies, but to use on trips, when your going to a pot luck, or just to make dinner in. I’m excited to get cookin’!
They are on sale right now on amazon for $99, normally $129. That is a really good deal!