I have to tell you how to make the very best pancakes ever because my grandkids think my Mickey Mouse pancakes are pancakes. They are waffles made in a Mickey Mouse waffle maker. My oldest grandchild, Jake, is 23 years old soon to be 24. When he was a year old I bought this waffle maker made by ViilaWare. Well, it worked great until I had 10 grandkids, which has now grown to 17 grandkids. I had to go to eBay to find another VillaWare waffle maker to match it. That’s the first and last time I have used eBay. Just giving you the heads-up, it was hard to bid on something I really wanted.
Here’s the deal, we have to have two of these waffle makers going at once. It doesn’t matter how old my grandkids are, when they hit Southern Utah they call and say “when will the Mickey Mouse pancakes be ready?” Isn’t being a grandma the best thing in the world? Now, these are waffles, but we couldn’t tell the little ones they were waffles because they always wanted pancakes, so that’s how our family tradition began with Mickey Mouse pancakes (waffles).
I make the best pancake batter from scratch using a medium size bowl with a Danish whisk: Danish Dough Hand Whisk / Mixer 11″ or 14″ (I like the 11-inch whisk size the best) or one of my stainless steel whisks: Norpro 3 Piece Stainless Steel Balloon Whisk Set. I put the flour in the bowl first and make a well in the center and start adding the rest of the ingredients.
One thing my family does with the maple syrup is heat it in the microwave in a gravy bowl so the pancakes or waffles stay hot while we eat them. Oh man, can you see the butter melting on the top of the pancakes right now? You can heat the syrup on the stove as well and serve it in a gravy bowl/boat: Le Creuset Stoneware 12-Ounce Gravy Boat, White
I want to share a few tricks about how to make pancakes, not waffles. First of all get a good griddle like this one: Lodge Cast-Iron Reversible Grill/Griddle, 20-Inch x 10.44-Inch, Black (it’s perfect for gas stoves or cooking outside, or if you like an electric griddle this one is awesome: BLACK+DECKER GD2011B Family Size Griddle, Black.
You need to bring the griddle to a temperature that is hot enough to splash a little water and it sizzles. When it’s hot and ready to go. I always use a vegetable spray before putting a 1/4 cup scoop of pancake batter on the hot griddle. After they cook a bit you will see some bubbles, this means they are ready to flip and cook the other side. Now let’s get started with my pancake recipes made from scratch. I have the PRINTABLE best pancakes recipes at the bottom.
The Very Best Pancakes
1. Buttermilk Pancakes
- 2 cups bread flour white flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- I start with a medium bowl and add the flour and make a well in the center. I then add all of the other ingredients and use my Danish whisk or one of my stainless steel whisks. These are fabulous and fluffy!
2. Chunky Monkey Pancakes
- 2 cups freshly ground hard white wheat flour or white enriched bread flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 4 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- Sliced bananas
- Mini chocolate chips (I sprinkle just a few on each pancake)
- I place all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk it until blended. It will be a medium thick batter or add more milk until you reach your preferred thickness. I use approximately 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake and cook each side until golden brown. Serve with maple syrup or caramel sauce.
3. Kendra’s Blender Pancakes
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 cups uncooked whole wheat kernels
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 4 tablespoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons Agave or honey
- 3 teaspoons salt
- Put milk and wheat in a heavy duty blender. Blend on high for 3-5 minutes or until batter is smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth. Bake on a hot griddle!
4. Oven Baked Pancakes (Popeye pancakes)
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and grease a 9-inch by 13-inch pan, or a 12 cupcake or muffin tin pan. Combine the ingredients in a blender and quickly pour into pans desired and bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned and puffy.
5. Swedish or Norwegian Pancakes
- 1/2 cup bread flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs 1/4 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and pour enough batter to make a six-inch circle on a hot griddle. Cook them until they can be flipped and cooked one more minute. Serve hot with fresh berries, bananas, peaches, and freshly whipped cream.
6. Whole Wheat Pancakes
- 1-1/2 cups freshly ground hard white wheat
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth. These take a bit longer to cook because of the whole wheat, but it's worth it, I promise. These are delicious! I hope you try some of the best pancakes I have listed today!
These are delicious! I hope you try some of the best pancakes I have listed today!
I hope you love these recipes as much as my family does! Here’s to cooking from scratch and loving it!
Keep your pancakes warm in this: Norpro Tortilla Pancake Keeper