Today, it’s all about the 50 signs that you might be a prepper. If you survived the 1990s, then you remember the stand-up comedian Jeff Foxworthy and the most popular portion of his act, “You might be a redneck if…”.
Unless of course, you were living underneath a rock during that time. He would go on to give dozens of humorous examples of what a redneck looked like, and he was always spot-on, followed up with snorting laughter from the crowd.
Signs That You Might Be a Prepper
I’ve decided to take a similar approach when it comes to prepping and mention a few of the absurd and unusual habits that some of us may have. While I may not be known for my jokes, some of these “things” that preppers do, are in fact funny, while some are just a bit odd.
Many of you preppers out there may be as guilty of a few of them as I am. These are 50 of the telltale signs that you may be a prepper. Or maybe you’d rather prefer if I titled this, “You might be a prepper if…”
- When bad weather arrives, for some odd reason you’re super-excited about it.
- You may be strangely curious about what an EMP attack would actually look like.
- You start to panic when you’re down to your last family pack of toilet paper.
- When you hear something on the news, your first instinct is to not believe it.
- You believe that a long-term power outage is a great practice for the real thing.
- 911 is not a part of your home’s security plan.
- When it comes to being prepared for emergencies, your dog is better prepared than your next-door neighbor.
- You’ve had a 10 pound can of food fall on your toe…more than once.
- All of your friends know better than to get rid of their empty gallons of milk and pop containers in front of you…I mean, who does this?
- You take paintballing to a whole different level, where it’s no longer about having fun, but about being the last one standing.
- You stock up on diva cups to replace tampons that take up too much space.
- Buying expired food is of no concern to you.
- You move to a part of the country, as far away from the New Madrid fault line as you can.
- …..or for that matter, actually have an idea what the New Madrid fault line is.
- You understand the meanings of SHTF and TEOTWAWKI.
- You keep duct tape with you wherever you go (it can fix literally anything).
- You’ve done your online research to determine if your belly button lint can be used for something.
- Most of your food supply is stored in buckets down in your basement.
- One of your family members asks you why you have more than two or three manual can openers.
- Your supply of grains is getting up there with what the country Norway has hidden and stashed away.
- When it comes to your method of exercising, you enjoy running up a mountain, grappling, and stomach crawls.
- Your stockpile of over the counter drugs and medicines dwarfs your local pharmacy. 30 OTC Medications You Should Stock
- Your twisted idea of romance is conversing with your spouse on your 2-way radios from the other room.
- You watch apocalyptic movies so that you can critique their mistakes, or gather a few useful new ideas.
- When all your local big box retail stores award you “Customer of the Year.”
- You enjoy the smell of WD-40, gasoline, and velcro.
- You’ve tasted dandelions to determine whether you could stomach them or not if that’s all that’s available to eat.
- Besides dandelions, you could easily tell me which wild berries are edible and which are poisonous.
- You look around to see if anyone is watching and then proceed to put an insect in your mouth for a quick bite to eat.
- Your children are able to properly handle a gun without being afraid.
- You visit the county dump to throw away garbage only to leave with more than you brought.
- You have a generous supply of hard liquor and cigarettes, even though you don’t drink or smoke.
- More and more of your clothing is looking a lot more camouflaged these days.
- You enjoy archery as a “sport,” but it’s really so that you can provide a meal for your family.
- On more than one occasion you’ve asked your friends and family for their expired cooking oil.
- There’s a top-notch fire extinguisher in every room of your house.
- Every time you enter a building you immediately start looking for the exits.
- Instead of resorting to buying new shoelaces, you use your supply of paracord to tie your shoes instead.
- You’ve “experimented” with dog food to see if it was in fact, edible.
- You find yourself extremely jealous of someone’s underground bunker that you’ve seen on a tv show.
- You spend more time “tinkering” with things that you probably will never use.
- You have more than one “bug-out” location prepared with supplies and food rations.
- You’re only willing to vacation to a state where you’re allowed to carry concealed weapons legally.
- In fact, you never really like leaving too far from home, especially your bug-out location.
- When you do stay in a hotel room, all the “samples” find their way home with you.
- You know and can recite by heart the 7 p’s of survival.
- You’ve decided to forfeit one of your children’s bedrooms in order to make another pantry area.
- You stumble upon a 72-hour kit and think it’s a joke.
- Sleeping bags and blankets are a lot like money…you can never have too much.
- You’ve come to the realization that there are only two types of people, those that prep and those that don’t!
Signs That You Might be a Prepper
These are just a few of the many examples and signs of those who have taken prepping to a whole other level. While many of them are in fact funny, and a tad overboard, there’s nothing wrong or silly about being prepared. Have you ever heard the old saying, “hope for the best, but prepare for the worst?”
That’s what a prepper does, and I’d encourage you to do the same. What are some of your favorite signs that you’re a prepper? May God Bless this world, Linda
Copyright Images: Preppers AdobeStock_287185419 by Roger