15 Reasons Why I Store Epsom Salts To Use Everyday

15 Reasons Why I Store Epsom Salts To Use Everyday

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

What are Epsom Salts? It is not actually salt but a naturally occurring pure mineral compound of sulfate and magnesium.  It started out from a bitter saline spring at Epsom in Surrey, England. Do you remember your family always having Epsom Salts? I remember seeing this blue bag in the hall closet with the rest of the medicinal products my mother had stored. We only had a few items for any ailment we had. The ones that I remember were Epsom Salts, Merthiolate, Mercurochrome, and aspirin.

Yes, that was it. We did not go to the doctor much, and if we did, we must have been close to death. I do remember having my throat painted with a purple violet ointment (Gentian Violet), something for strep throat. I would love any comments to help refresh my memory on that stuff. We also had a yellow mustard paste you’d smear on your chest for bad coughs. Today it is all about Epsom Salts. Thank you to several readers that reminded me of the purple/violet ointment name! Another reader just emailed me and said she always puts a couple of tablespoons in the hole before she plants her tomatoes. It helps them grow stronger and prevents blossom end rot. Thanks so much for these awesome tips!

My 15 Reasons Why I Store Epsom Salts:

1. Throw a cupful into a warm bath along with some lavender essential oils…….relax and read a book. No need to buy expensive bath salts, plus you choose the essential oils you prefer.

2. Make a paste with water and Epsom Salts to soothe a sunburn. Take a small container and mix water and enough of the Epsom Salts to make a paste similar to thin toothpaste. Gently rub the mixture onto the sunburned skin.

3. You can do your own pedicure by soaking your feet in a bucket of warm water with a 1/2 cup Epsom Salts added. Relax and let the dry skin fall off. Use a pumice stone to remove the remaining dead skin, and then rub coconut oil into your feet to soften them. I wear socks so I won’t fall from the slippery oil on my bare feet. It really helps with those cracked heels in the summertime.

4. It is great for splinters….soak and then remove the splinter ever so carefully with clean tweezers.

5. Gout can be treated by soaking your foot in as hot as the water can be and still be comfortable, along with 1/4 cup Epsom Salts. Soak the foot for about thirty minutes. This will help ease the discomfort of a sore foot.

6. Sprains can be treated by following the instructions for gout. The water with the Epsom Salts seems to ease the discomfort of the sprained ankle or foot.

Read More of My Articles  DIY Dollar Store First Aid Kit Buckets

7. Athlete’s Foot is treated by soaking the feet in warm water with 1/4 cup Epsom Salts for about 30 minutes. Drain the water, clean the container and repeat if necessary.

8. Gardens are benefited by preventing slugs when you sprinkle some Epsom Salts around where you do not want the slugs to enter near your garden plants.

9. Epsom Salts is a natural insecticide….sprinkle lightly around your plants to keep those plant pests away.

10. Keep your lawns green with 2 tablespoons to one-gallon water and spray onto your lawn. Cheap way to keep your lawn healthy and green.

11. Fertilize your house plants. Sprinkle a little each week to keep them healthy and keep the pests away. (high in nitrogen, phosphorus & potassium)

12. Make your own hand wash with baby oil and Epsom Salts. Soothes dry chapped fingers and knuckles.

13. Clean your bathroom tile with equal amounts of Epsom Salts and your favorite liquid detergent, use a rag to just wipe away the grime.

14. Add a tiny amount (about 1/4 teaspoon give or take) to your regular face cleansing cream and wash your face as usual. It feels fabulous!

15. Fungus toenail or fingernail can be treated by soaking the infected nail(s) in hot water mixed with Epsom Salts at least three times a day.

If you have other ideas please comment. I would love to add them to my list. We all learn from each other. The really nice thing about Epsom Salts is the fact that they are fairly inexpensive to purchase and store in your food storage stash or pantry.

My friend, Karen @Blue Yonder Urban Farms Why we should store Epsom Salts

My friend, Shelle @PreparednessMama has, even more, ideas using Epsom Salts

My friend, Kristi @Homestead Wishing She has some Epsom Salt relaxing tips

Readers:

Jan: I use Epsom salts to give more volume to my hair. Don’t know the amount you use. I used a tablespoon per 16 ounces water. You could probably use less. Mix with warm water in spray bottle. I am a hair dresser and this gives more volume to your hair than any expensive hair products I’ve used. Plus it doesn’t make you feel like it has product in it. Also, I learned in beauty school that magnesium makes your hair curl. Not if you have straight hair but if you have some body in your hair it is supposed to make it curly.

Sue: My physical therapist recommends an Epsom salt bath to help reduce inflammation. This is good for people who have an injury, feel achy or have fibromyalgia or arthritis.

Read More of My Articles  Influenza Or Flu What Are The Symptoms

Veronica: I learned from one of the nurseries that Epsom salt makes the plant yield more flowers, I tried that for my roses and they look very great!!

Roberta: When my hubby plants his vegetable garden he digs hole puts a tablespoon of Epsom salt in adds a little dirt back then plants tomatoes. This year he yielded so much more because of Epsom salt he also sprinkles around plant before watering

Barb: When someone is coming down with the sniffles or you just want your room to smell really good, I take a cup of Epsom and add about 4 drops of peppermint oil in a pretty container and put it in the bedroom, close the door and your room will smell wonderful, plus it seems to get rid of the sniffles! I don’t know if there is any medical backing this up, but it works for us!

Rebekah: Epsom salts make a great laundry softener also! I mix 4 cups Epsom salts with 25-30 drops of my favorite essential oils (right now I’m hooked on the fresh clean scents of lemon and lime) and store it in a big sealed container. I put about 2 tablespoons in my laundry with the detergent, and my clothes get softened as well as smelling great!

Siobhan: Epsom salt is also good in healing bruises faster. I will soak a towel with hot water and Epsom salts and place on bruise and repeat. I think it works best if you do this within the first 24 hours of the bruising This definitely speeds the healing process. This past winter I slipped and fell. I had a very large bruise and this cleared it up in a week.

Gabe: Hello, I’m a geologist and use Epsom salt for all sorts of things. It really is a wonderful substance. I appreciate the information here. I wanted to let you know that Epsom Salt is the household name for a mineral called Epsomite MgSO4 * 7H2O. It is great in the garden if your soil pH is too high and for plants that like high acidity. It does not, however, contain any amount of Nitrogen, Phosphorous, or Potassium.

Please don’t take this as criticism. I am just trying to offer helpful knowledge to pass on. Thank you for writing this article and sharing your knowledge with us.

PS: It also works as a gentle (if very yucky tasting) laxative.

Survival Food Storage by Linda

Comments

1. Gentian Violet is the purple stuff. I had to paint it in my daughters mouth as baby when she had thrush. It is an antiseptic dye used for fungus infections.
    Yes I always have epsom salts on hand also. We made some great bath salts for christmas gifts one year by adding a drop or two of essential oil and a drop or two of food coloring to a big bowl of Epsom salts. Stir it really well and then put it in glass jars or pretty cellophane bags.

• Hi Catherine, I think I might make those bath salts for gifts! great idea! I am going to add that Gentian Violet to the post. Thanks so much! Linda

• We must be the same age as that is the only medicine my Mom used also, along with Musterole for chest colds, iodine and I remember my Dad used a styptic pencil for cuts when shaving and worked like a charm. I only remember going to the Dr, once, too bad we cannot get those medicines now. There is another product which I still use today a miracle ointment if there ever was one and that is ASTYPTODYNE NATURAL PINE OIL as used on horses. Great post brought back a lot of memories.

• Hi Judy, I just turned 67 in January! Now I’m thinking I’m older than you because my husband who is 70 years old, still uses a styptic pencil for shaving! LOL! I am going to see where to buy that product you told me about. Thanks for the tip! Linda

• Judy, is it a liquid? I see a liquid on Amazon. Oh my gosh, I have got to order some of this! Thank you. Linda

• pat smith says:

My Dad used a Steptic pencil and removed warts from my Aunts hands. Used it wet, and drew lines all around the wart, used it daily, and it actually worked.

2. Patrick says:

The purple violent ointment you referred to in your article is gentian violet. Gentian violet, also known as crystal violet, is antimicrobial and antifungal. Good old-fashioned remedy that still works very well.

• Hi Patrick, thanks so much for letting me know the name. I just added it to my post! Thank you so much! Linda

3. The information that you pass along to us are very helpful to our lives. Instead of buying all these expensive products, you give us alternatives that probably work even better. Thank you for making my life easier and keeping me well informed.

• Hi Cheryl, I am so glad you like the information I write. I work very hard to let you know alternative ways to health remedies and save money at the same time. Some of us do not have the luxury of health insurance. It is so very expensive. Hugs! Linda

4. Barbara Dahl says:

I always put couple of Tablespoons in the hole before I plant my tomatoes.
    It helps them grow stronger and prevents blossom end rot.

• Hi Barbara, I did not know this trick!I am going to go add this to my post! Thank you so much for sharing! Linda

5. Thanks for all the tips Linda! Just wanted to add, for number 3, just before going to sleep, I generously rub my foot with with a good-quality cream (such as Glysomed or Aveeno), making sure to reach the nail bed as well, and then wrap my feet in my blanket and go to sleep. In the morning, no matter what condition my feet are in, they turn out unbelievably soft and smooth.

You could do this with socks as well (during the day) but try not to keep them on too long, since your feet will want to breath. With this overnight-spa-results shortcut, you get minimal effort, enviable heels and can get a good night’s sleep if you try relaxing/calming oils/scents like lavender feet cream. This trick is best done after soaking feet in warm water (and epsom salt!) and scrubbing away dead skin. Need I say that it will work wonders for your hands (and really, any body part that needs pampering) as well? 🙂

• Thank you for these tips! I am going to try the two creams you mentioned. Well, I use Aveeno but I want to try the Glysomed. Lavender foot cream sounds fabulous! Linda

• You’re welcome! But you’ve gone one great tip list yourself, so thanks for sharing will all of us 🙂 . Glysomed is iconically known for its light green/forest green tube with a hand symbol on it. The cream is pretty thick, so I like to use it for when you need deep-down conditioning. As for lavender foot cream, I use Yves Rocher’s ‘Beauté des Pieds’ Lavender Foot Beauty Care cream. It smells better than all the other’s that I’ve tried, and while it comes in a very small tube (50ml), it uses organic lavender and a little goes a long way. Hope this helps!

6. when i was younger, i was super allergic to poison ivy & oak…i would get it all over my body…i would have to soak in a tub of hot water & epsom salt ..it would help dry up the rash then some witch hazel was applied…it always helped…..you have to keep it away from your eyes.

• Oh that is so true about the allergies…thank good ness for Epsom Salt. Witch Hazel is another good one. Thank you! Linda

7. I’m not sure how much scientific value there is to this, but I’ve read that soaking in Epsom Salt draws toxins out of the body.

Also, it’s good if you have a magnesium deficiency, which is quite likely in a post SHTF type environment where your diet is limited. Your skin absorbs the minerals.

Also drinking plain Epsom Salt is a laxative (no scents added!!!!). Because unfortunately, constipation is also something unpleasant you may have to deal with when your diet is off.

8. I use Epsom salts to give more volume to my hair. Don’t know the amount you use. I used a tablespoon per 16 ounces water. You could probably use less. Mix with warm water in spray bottle. I am a hair dresser and this gives more volume to your hair than any expensive hair products I’ve used. Plus it doesn’t make your feel like it has product in it. Also I learned in beauty school that magnesium makes your hair curl. Not if you have straight straight hair but if you have some body in your hair it is suppose to make it curly.

9. My physical therapist recommends an Epsom salt bath to help reduce inflammation. This is good for people who have an injury, feel achy or have fibromyalgia or arthritis.

10. Veronica Nesane says:

I leant from one of the nursery that Epsom salt make the plant to yield more flowers,I tried that for my roses and they look very great!!
    Veronica

• Hi Veronica, I am so glad to hear this tip! I remember my fertilizer guy using Epsom Salts on this one tree in my yard! I am going to try it on my roses! I’m adding this to my post right now! Thank you, Linda

11. When someone is coming down with the sniffles or you just want your room to smell really good, I take a cup of Epsom and add about 4 drops of peppermint oil in a pretty container and put it in the bedroom, close the door ad your room will smell wonderful, plus it seems to get rid of the sniffles! I don’t know if there is any medical backing this up, but it works for us!

12. When my hubby plants his vegetable garden he digs hole puts a tablespoon of Epsom salt in adds a little dirt back then plants tomatoes. This year he yielded so much more because of Epsom salt he also sptinkles around plant before watering

13. You really will see a bigger yield on the tomatoes ,my husband also did same thing with his peppers last summer was biggest haul he ever had. good luck

14. Google: wild asparagus root / stinging nettle / worm wood. You will be surprised at its miraculous healing and invigorating properties

15. Rebekah Hedgpeth says:

Epsom salts make a great laundry aoftener also! I mix 4 cups Epsom salts with 25-30 drops of my favorite essential oils (right now I’m hooked on the fresh clean scents of lemon and lime) and store it in a big sealed container. I put about 2 tablespoons in my laundry with the detergent, and my clothes get softened as well as smelling great!

16. Siobhan Hodgson says:

Epsom salt is also good in healing bruises faster. I will soak a towel with hot water and epsom salts and place on bruise and repeat. I think it works best if you do this within the first 24 hours of the bruising This definetly speeds the healing process. This past winter I slipped and fell. I had a very large bruise and this cleared it up in a week.

17. Hello, I’m a geologist and use Epsom salt for all sorts of things. It really is a wonderful substance. I appreciate the information here. I wanted to let you know that Epsom Salt is the household name for a mineral called Epsomite MgSO4 * 7H2O. It is great in the garden if your soil pH is too high and for plants that like high acidity. It does not, however, contain any amount of Nitrogen, Phosphorous, or Potassium.

PS: It also works as a gentle (if very yucky tasting) laxative.

• Hi Gabe, thanks so much for your information. We all learn from each other, I am going to add this to my article. I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me and my readers. You rock, LInda

18. Deidre Mercer says:

Wash your curtains as usual.
    Add, One cup of Epsom Salts to the final rinse of your curtains .
    Take your curtains out of the washer after the last spin. Shake them out and re-hang them.
    I usually didn’t have to iron them.
    The Epsom Salts leave an invisible coating on the curtains which resist dust.

19. Cathleen Bowing says:

I ONLY wash my hair with it then rince w/ vinegar .
    I mix several drops of essential oil ( I like lavender or baby powder sent) mix well & add a scoop to my washer rinse water.

20. My Grandma used Gentian Violet for canker sores. Worked like a charm.
    Wish I knew where to get it now.

21. WooHoo! I’m headed there now! Thanks!

22. yep,the vege farm I worked on buys Epsom salt by the ton for tomato,beans,capsicum,cucumber and gherkins.you must be a bit younger than I. we had in our “medicine chest” a bottle of brandy, bottle of eucyllyptus oil, packet of aspirin bottle of metho,bottle of kero,”Epsom salts” carb soda,iodex, mercurochrome, mustard ointment.they are the ones I can remember. all wrapped in a cloud of secrecy and a very serious warning , don’t you kids touch or their will be big trouble .

• Hi, Frank, I think we are very close in age as I remember all of those except the brandy. LOL! We had the same kind of medicine cabinet, we rarely went to the doctor, right? Linda

23. thanks for the site ,now in last 6 months have had a prostatectomy, and 2 hernias repaired and have been supplementing diet with pain killers . after reading this sight , tomorrow I will try a bath with e/salts and see if that can relieve some of the constant pain and swelling.
    keep up good werk.

• HI, Frank, oh man you have had some serious operations, sorry to hear that. Ask your doctor is elevating your body will help with the swelling. Also, drink a lot of water to flush the poison out of your body. Can you use cold packs or hot packs? I will pray for you Frank, get well soon! Linda

24. Maryann says:

I’M PRETTY OLD, BUT IT SEEMS WHEN I GOT SORE THROAT IT WAS PAINTED WITH IODINE ,DO I REMEMBER
    WRONG ??

• Hi Maryann, I have to laugh because I think we both had that painted on our throats when we were young! You have a good memory! Yep, that was it! Great comment, thank you! Linda

25. Maryann says:

WONDER IF YOU CAN STILL GET IT[IODINE ] ? THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THE GOOD HINTS, SURE GOING TO TRY EPSOM SALTS IN WATER IN SPRAY BOTTLE FOR VOLUME FOR MY HAIR, SURE CAN USE THAT,,,

• Hi Maryann, I’m sure you can still buy iodine. I bought a bottle for my fingernails that are very thin. One fingernail is going to be totally gone soon. I bought a clear color iodine from Amazon (com). I bet a pharmacy sells it near you. It’s a really small brown bottle. Nothing will help my thin hair! Laugh out loud! I keep it cut really short at the local barbershop. Hugs, Linda

26. Maryann says:

I hate to bother you again ,but what kind of Iodine should I get to paint my throat ? there are so many listed on Amazon…and like to have it ready for this fall when those sore throats seems to come.. thanks again for these articles that help us in every day life..

• Hi Maryann, I would ask a pharmacist because I am not sure which ones to use. I only use it topically on my skin and nails. I use My Doctor Suggests Silver solution 35 ppm if I have been around sick people. I think asking a doctor or nurse about the Iodine would be your best choice to ask. Although they may not agree with it. You are never a bother to ask me a question, hugs!Linda

27. Erica singer says:

Also some epsom salt with tea tree oil will clear toe nail fungi quickly or taking a bath in it with tea tree aloe and baking soda can clear up and detox you whole body!

Share Your Thoughts