Now that stores are starting to get more items in, you may be wondering about some foods you can start storing now. I wanted to put together a list of 20+ cheap food items you should store now. While this pandemic is not over yet, at least the panic has lessened and there are more foods on the shelf. The next time you’re at the store check out these cheap foods you can easily stock up on. Everyone loves eating, especially during a pandemic. Don’t forget to have a few can openers, Manual Can Openers
In case you missed my post on How To Make Flour Tortillas
Cheap Foods You Should Store Now
If I’m being honest, cheap foods are the best foods to store. They don’t cost much money so you can slowly stock up on foods as you go to the store. Inexpensive foods only cost you a few dollars per unit. Remember that stocking up isn’t just going to the store to buy a bunch of stuff at once. It’s slowly stocking up on items as time and money allow it. I have more ideas in my book as well, “Prepare Your Family For Survival”
- Rice – Everyone knows my stance on rice. It is such a cheap item to stock up on and you can still find it at the store. Buy as big a bag of rice as you can afford. You won’t regret it.
- Beans – You already know that beans are such a cheap protein and such an important part of cooking during a pandemic and any other time too. How To Cook Beans
- Peanut butter – I don’t know about you, but peanut butter is one of those things that I enjoy eating, especially during a pandemic.
- Eggs – If you can get your hands on farm fresh eggs, they seriously last a long time. If you have the time, you can also scramble them and then freeze them in an appropriate container.
- Canned Tomatoes – One of my favorite cheap foods to stock up on and store now is canned tomatoes. If you can stock up on these, do it!
- Peanuts – Yes, if you can stock up on peanuts at the store, go for it. While they aren’t the cheapest, you can sometimes find them on sale, which is very helpful during a pandemic. Nuts can be very filling and they are generally really good for you.
- Ramen Noodles – I think we can all agree that there isn’t any other food out there that’s as cheap as Ramen Noodles. If you see them, make sure you stock up!
- Oatmeal – When my girls were younger, all it took was some oatmeal to fill them up. Right now, overnight oats are a huge thing and so delicious!
- Frozen fruits and veggies – You can’t forget to eat healthy, even during a pandemic, so it’s wise that you stock up on fruits and veggies when you can. Frozen seems to be the cheapest way to stock up!
- Flour – I know you hear me say this one all the time, but flour is a great item to have on hand and it’s so inexpensive.
- Crackers – I have posted a recipe on how to make your own crackers, but you should also buy them if you find them on sale. How To Make Homemade Crackers
- Canned meat – When I’m at the grocery store, canned meat is always my go-to. You can buy canned meat a lot cheaper and you don’t have to worry about it going bad.
- Spaghetti Sauce – is cheap right now. Sure I can make it from scratch, but sometimes I want a heat and serve dinner. I can boil the pasta and pour the heated sauce over it. So easy!
- Flour Tortillas – I ALWAYS have ready to serve flour tortillas in the freezer. I also like to freeze several packages of the uncooked flour tortillas. Yes, I can make my own tortillas, but if I spend the day writing and researching, sometimes I need a quick meal. I can add some cooked onions and bell peppers with some refried beans, dinner in no time. Please note: I buy several packages of the medium size flour tortillas at Costco and then place 4-6 tortillas in one-gallon size bags and freeze them. When I need tortillas I remove a bag from the freezer as needed.
- Salsa – I love salsa on just about everything, I highly recommend stocking up a few jars.
- Pasta – If you need to feed a number of bellies, then pasta is a good option. You can almost always find pasta on sale at your favorite store.
- Popcorn – Honestly, this is one cheap food that I’m not afraid to stock up on. It’s cheap and filling. Plus, you can add toppings to the popcorn for a special flavor treat.
- Potatoes – One food that is cheap and lasts a few weeks is potatoes. You can buy these and make many different dished with them. Plus, making mashed potatoes in the middle of a pandemic isn’t a bad idea.
- Chocolate – This is a food that is inexpensive, but can be so good. When you are stressed and trying to deal with the pandemic, you can take a little chocolate out of the freezer to relax and enjoy.
- Canned Veggies – Another easy food to stock up on is canned veggies. They seem to last forever and you can find them cheap.
- Boxed Cake Mixes – When you want something sweet, but don’t want to spend a lot of money, a boxed cake is a perfect way to go. Stock up on boxed cake mixes if you can.
- Cheese – I make a lot of foods with cheese. When I can buy it on sale, I do. It’s amazing how many different meals you can make with cheese. I freeze grated/shredded cheese all the time. Sometimes I freeze it in the bags it comes in, or fill a quart or some pint mason jars with grated cheese before freezing it.
- Seasonings – While this may not be a food directly, it’s something important to stock up on whenever you can! Your food won’t taste very good without some seasonings.
Why Should I Stock Up on Cheap Foods?
Well, if you want to stock up on expensive foods, you can. However, cheap foods are helpful when times are tough. Cheap foods allow you to stock up a little at a time, which is important. Not many people can afford to run out and stock up on tons of expensive food at one time. One can at a time and one box of pasta at a time is how we do it!
The next time you are at the store, look and see what you can stock more cheaply. If coffee is on sale, grab an extra container. Stocking up should be done over time. You can do this! What is one cheap food that you like to stock up on? I’d love to know in the comment section. What do you think about my cheap foods you should store now list? May God Bless this world, Linda.
Copyright Images: Wheat Flour Tortillas Deposit photos_46480169_s-2019