What You Need In First Aid Kits With A Printable Checklist

What You Need In First Aid Kits With A Printable Checklist

• 7.5K

What You Need In First Aid Kits With A Printable Checklist is ready for you to print out. We all have plastic strips or Neosporin or something similar for cuts and bruises. I decided I wanted all, or at least most of my first aid kit supplies in one container. I soon learned that this fishing tackle box is way too small. For most people it might be too big. Oh, and it’s way too heavy, so this would be very hard to use it to grab along with a 72 Hour Kit or Bug Out Bag. But none the less, I feel great having 70% of my first aid supplies in one container.

Picture Above Is Looking Down At The Tackle Box:

The picture above is showing the fishing tackle box open with a top view of items included. Of course, you cannot see everything because I really had to shove and push stuff in every nook and cranny. I dragged out my C.E.R.T. green bags and inspected to see what I had stashed in them. I combined some of the items in that C.E.R.T bag into this box. We all have different things we will put in our first aid kits. I get that, so please keep in mind that the FREE Printable Checklist is the bare bones of a what you might need or want in your first aid kit.

Front Picture Of First Aid Kit:

What You Need In First Aid Kits With A Printable Checklist| via www.foodstoragemoms.com

You can see the tackle box top lids laying on the ground and the trays fully extended. I cannot even tell you how many stores I dragged my husband through to find the perfect one. Of course, here in Southern Utah we only have a few stores but still…..he was very patient. Love that guy!

Closed Fishing Tackle Box First Aid Kit

You can hopefully see that this fishing tackle box is made by Plano. It cost about $60.00, as I remember. It’s cheaper on Amazon.com. It was actually the sturdiest one I could find. I went to a JoAnn’s Fabric store to see if I could find a craft box. They were not strong enough, in my opinion, for all the stuff I was going to cram into one of these babies. I found this one at Sportsman’s Warehouse right here in Southern Utah. It’s also available on Amazon.com. Here is a link to the Plano Fishing Tackle box I bought (I will make a few cents if you use this affiliate link, and I thank you for that) Plano Fishing Tackle Box on Amazon.

Family First Aid Kits

Now before you check out my first aid kit checklist, I want you to think about the first aid products you use often. I made a Children’s First Aid kit a few months ago. The reason I did was because my grandkids would come and I wanted to make sure I had the pain relievers for their particular ages. It seems like when our large family gets together someone usually has a fever or a cough.  They are coming from out of state so the humidity and temperatures are not what they are used to.

Start jotting down the products you like. Do you have some in your home if someone becomes ill? I remember thinking my girls always got a fever in the afternoon or late evening. That’s typically when fevers rise, but its nice to know you have something in the cupboard without having to run to the store. Just keep thinking what can I put in my first aid kits?

Oh, and we grandmas love having Hello Kitty band-aids or whatever character is popular at the time. My grandkids love ouch band-aids even when they don’t need them. They love digging through my first aid kits to find just the right one! Yep, that’s what we do and love every minute of it, right? This post might give you some ideas: Children’s First Aid Kit.

First Aid Kits Checklist:

What You Need In First Aid Kits | via www.foodstoragemoms.comDownload your FREE First Aid Kit Checklist Printable.

I got this fishing tackle box first aid kit idea from my friend, Lesslie:The Busy B Homemaker. We talked about how heavy they are and laughed together because you need to be very strong to lift it. No, these first aid kits would not be good for a 72 Hour Kit because it is extremely heavy. BUT I love the fact that I have all my first aid (well almost all) supplies in one container. I couldn’t put everything in this fishing tackle box, although I tried to put as much as possible in it! How many first aid kits do you have? Would you need a small, medium or large first aid kit? Maybe you have several first aid kits?  Let me know about your experiences with essential oils and also what things you consider to be critical additions to your first aid kits.

Essential Oils small handbook: Essential Oils Pocket Reference

Food Storage Moms: 30 Pandemic Essentials.

Food Storage Moms: 20 Reasons To Store Bag Balm.

Joan an awesome reader shared these links with me about elderberry syrup. I am going to add this to my first aid kits. WooHoo!

Gaye Levy from Backdoor Survival: Backdoor Survival-8 Uncommon First Aid Items.

Gaye Levy from Backdoor Survival: Backdoor Survival Planning For An Emergency 5 Things.

Tiffany from Imperfectly Happy: DIY Mini First Aid Kit.

Tiffany from Imperfectly Happy: Prepping First Aid Skills.

Bernie from Apartment Prepper: 10 Household Items That Have First Aid Uses.

“Randomized study of the efficacy and safety of oral elderberry extract in the treatment of influenza A and B virus infections.” PubMed.gov.
“Inhibitory activity of a standardized elderberry liquid extract against clinically-relevant human respiratory bacterial pathogens and influenza A and B viruses.” PubMed.gov.
American Red Cross Website.

Comments

1. I tend to find this subject overwhelming. As in, what to have in it and how much. Your guide will make this much easier for me. Thank you for this.

2. How “refreshing” to see essential oils as first aid necessities! If I had to choose only one, it would be lavender. It is so versatile. I agree with Jackie, this is an overwhelming subject. I just came to the conclusion that my first aid kit was a “work in progress” and continue to strive to improve it. Your insight on essential oils and the first aid kit list are gems. Thank you.

I am surprised that there is no Elderberry Syrup on your list. Much research has been published on pubmed regarding its efficacy in stopping flu viruses (among others) from replicating. Especially this flu season, as the flu vaccine is not effective for the type of flu going around.
    “Sambucol” was one of the products used in testing – 15 ml 4 times a day (equivalent 4 tablespoons per day).

A few links if you care to do some research:

Anyway… thanks for all you do.

• Joan, this is so funny you mentioned this brand of elderberry syrup I am checking out. I heard about this brand about a week ago. They also sell tablets. Thank you so much for those links. I am putting these on my website! THANK YOU! Linda

3. I love this! What a Great idea!
    Thanks for the free printable!

4. Great post,,, You have changed the way that I think about first aid… It never occurred to me to have essential oils.. and the range of products you include are far beyond the regular off the shelf first aid kits, it gives me so much more to consider… Thank you for sharing…

• Hi Karen, thanks for commenting. Because I did not have health insurance for many years I had to learn to heal my own body. Or at least it made me listen to my body if that makes sense. I hope this helps you! Linda

5. Great reference list! I’ll be sharing this. 🙂

6. Another reason docs ask “what do you want?” Is because they are tired of arguing with patients. Sometimes it is a virus and they don’t need an antibiotic but the patient demands it. So medicine is becoming more and more like food service. Would you like a side of fries with your meds? 🙂

• Hi Billie, oh my gosh, I love the “would you like a side of fries with your meds”? LOL! Wow, if I was a doctor I would not want to argue with a patient. OUCH! I guess they can’t choose their patients! Yikes, Linda

7. The tackle first aid kit is a really good idea – if too heavy, drag/pull/push it in wheeled cart or travois along with other heavy items.

• Hi Cindy, I am saving for a wheeled cart. My 72 hour kits has wheels but I need more than what’s in them. I couldn’t possibly carry them on my back. LOL! Thanks for stopping by, Linda

8. Elizabeth says:

My favorite essential oils are:
    eucalyptus – great for colds and sinus congestion
    lavender – great for stress, smells wonderful, relieves minor sunburns and dry skin, etc
    lemon – energizing, good for colds in warm water with honey and apple cider vinegar, good for clearing toxins from the body
    tee tree – good for any skin irritation as is myrrh oil
    basil – great for bites and bee stings
    carrier oil – such as fractionated coconut, apricot seed oil, almond, olive oil to dilute oil for sensitive skin or for more caustic oils
    My favorite recipe is for a sinus rinse:
    1 drop rosemary
    1 drop eucalyptus
    1 drop frankincense
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 cup of water
    use in a Netty pot or squeeze bottle to flush sinuses. It’s the best thing I’ve found and I’m get sinus stuff all the time.
    Also some sort of wintergreen based oil blend or icy hot would be great for sore achy muscles and is a must have for your first aid kit. DoTERRA as a couple of really good blends that we put in roller bottles with a carrier oil.

9. Ray Fincham says:

Like the setup. I was informed by a few people that the hinges on the box will break quite often. Don’t you think that one with a metal pin going through the hinge will work better. I’m definitely going to get something like this. Really nice set.

• Hi Ray, I went to antique stores to find a metal tackle box because I couldn’t find one in the stores. I for sure would love one with a metal pin. I live in a city with limited resources. It’s so frustrating. I looked online and could not find a metal tackle box with all the compartments I needed. This is very heavy BUT I love that ALL or mostly all my first aid supplies are in one location. Thanks for stopping by. If you find a metal box let me know. Thanks so much! Linda

10. Rolyndia says:

So what essential oils do you have in the first aide kit?

• HI Rolyndia, as far as essential oils I put as many as I can fit in the first aid kit. I think everyone will put their favorites so therefore I did not list them. Linda

11. Can you tell me what reference guides/first aid books you included in your kit and find to be the most useful? I am trying to find the essential oils reference guide you have in the picture and can’t seem to locate it online. Thank you!

• Hi Megan, I’m glad you asked me that question. I don;t think that particular book is available. Let me tell you about that one (it’s outdated but most of the important oils are in there). It was printed in 2010. It’s called Essential Oils Reference Guide on one side and the other side says: Essential Oils History & Overview by R.L. James. I used to have his phone number but then he never returned my calls to purchase more. I’m thinking they are no longer printing them??? I bought my favorite but large EO book called Essential Oils desk reference sixth edition by Life Science Publishing. They have some small ones dated 2014 I believe: Essential Oils Pocket Reference” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”>

12. Four essential additions I would highly recommend be included in any family or individual First Aid Kit are:
    1) Homoeopathic Rescue Remedy (liquid or lozenges) 2) Tea Tree Oil 3) Pawpaw (Papaya) Ointment by Lucas and 4) Tissue Salts (A kit of 12 of the salts and their combinations, to cover most contingencies).

Great article, Linda. Thanks so much!

13. Linda, please don’t take this personally, but if you are going to pack your trauma kit with “essential oils” You might as well eliminate all the medical items and add foo foo items.

In an emergent situation, Say an open chest wound, lavender oil will do NO good. Nor will peppermint oil repel spiders. .

I have been a critical care RN for 23 years, and a paramedic before that. That space could be better utilized in many ways.

No Benadryl or epi pen? Glad no one is allergic to anything in your post apocalyptic world?

Not even Vaseline gauze for a sucking chest wound?

What about Sterile dressings, 4×4, 5×9 or trauma dressings? Planning on a night without power at the hospital?

Pregnancy test but no BP cuff? Ever heard of shock? How you going to treat it, or even recognize it?

No Saline or anything to wash out a wound or eyes?

Why hydrocortisone when you have Kenalogs creme which is much more effective?

Am I missing something? As I have noticed your kit turning up on several survival related sites.

Might be great for a weekend without power. . .

• HI Wesley,you are amazing, thank you so much for taking the time to tell me these items I need to add to my first aid kits. I always have Benadryl in my first aid kits, at home, and in my car. I have 30 or so boxes of sterile gauze dressings. I was not aware I could purchase an epi pen. Do I need a prescription for one? I will look for Vaseline gauze. I have so many things that are not listed in my first aid kits printable list in my home and car. But I can tell you this, I will add the things you have suggested today ASAP. Two other things will be Saline and Kenalog cremes. The BP hopefully I can learn how to use it. I took the C.E.R.T. classes with my husband its a start but my neighborhood is no way prepared for any disaster. I’m totally prepared with solar generators, water, food, and fuel with cooking devices. I wish I had your RN critical care and Paramedic skills. I pray that everyone can bring something to the table after a disaster, God bless you for taking a few moments to enlighten me. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Linda

14. thats soo cool my kids love me opening mine because of the smell and i do with my mam been a nurse brings back so many memorys

15. Shirley Weber says:

I used some oils as well , love the idea of having them all in one container with other supplies. Do you have any problem with oils leaking that are laying down?

• Hi Shirley, occasionally yes, I do have oils leak but not very often. The key is keeping them in a dark place. When I travel I put them in plastic bags so my suitcase doesn’t smell like essential oils! One oil is fine, but they are too expensive to have them leak, Linda

• Shirlene Weber says:

Thank you for the quick reply! I agree they are expensive and therefore a leak is not good. I was just wondering if having them in that tackle box was an issue for you because I had found them to leak a bit as well when I tried to store them laying down. I have been on the hunt for a box that will hold my EO’s as well as the other first aid essentials but so far no luck. I will continue to search and thank you for the great idea’s and list.

• Hi Shirlene, I travel with them laying flat and they have never leaked, but I think ideally any bottle should stand upright. I could not find a first aid kit that would hold as many as the Plano fishing tackle box. None of them have ever leaked in it. I love the fact that I can see all of them at a glance. The bottle labels would show us at a glance what they are as well. I have the DoTerra boxes and they are awesome, and I have some stored in those as well (standing up). You could put those boxes which would secure the bottles hopefully from breaking (hitting each other) and put them in a first aid kit. But there again I can’t see what I have without opening the boxes. Great comment! Linda

16. Angie Barnes says:

I dont know if I missed it or if there is one but do you happen to have a list of all the oils and other products from Doterra that you put into your first aid kit?

Share Your Thoughts