These are easy to make homemade breadsticks people love because each bite is buttery soft, moist and fluffy to the taste! These go great with that last minute pot of soup or that salad bar you are throwing together for dinner tonight. You can cut these into desired lengths or shapes. They are great for parties. Who loves the smell of fresh homemade breadsticks baking in the oven? I know I do!
Please remember that your ingredients must be fresh. I only store enough white bread flour for one year in buckets with Gamma lids. My Saf instant yeast is stored in the refrigerator for the amount of yeast I need for one month. The rest of my yeast is frozen in the original package or airtight containers. The same goes for my dough enhancer. Dough enhancer makes your cinnamon rolls, bread, rolls, pizza dough or breadsticks light and fluffy. Dough enhancer is optional.
What you need to make homemade breadsticks:
My bread dough recipe below which includes: Saf Instant yeast, water, warm milk, olive oil, sugar, salt, dough enhancer (optional), eggs, white bread flour, butter, garlic, and parmesan cheese if desired. These are no-fail breadsticks, I promise. Follow the directions and you will love these!
Roll out the dough and cut the desired shapes with a knife or pizza cutter and dip in melted butter. Place the strips onto a greased cookie sheet. I always use a dough cutter as well: OXO Good Grips Multi-purpose stainless steel scraper & chopper
Here you can sprinkle with garlic salt and parmesan cheese or any combination you desire to flavor your breadsticks. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise until double in size.
Next, they are ready to bake. Bake at 350 degrees 12-20 minutes depending on how big you make your breadsticks. Do not overbake. Make sure you remove the plastic wrap before baking. I freeze my Parmesan grated cheese to keep it fresher. You can use freshly grated Parmesan cheese as well.
Now they are ready for dinner as shown below.
These are great to make for spaghetti and meatballs, soups, salads, lasagna or just about any meal you love with breadsticks! I love to dip these in fresh marinara sauce or alfredo sauce. My grandkids love to dip them in homemade ranch dressing. Please let me know if you make some of the breadsticks. I would love to hear from you. Enjoy!
Homemade Breadsticks by Food Storage Moms
- 4 teaspoons SAF Instant yeast Saf Instant Yeast 1 Pound Pouch
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups warm milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup sugar yes you can use less, I love sweet breadsticks
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 4 teaspoons dough enhancer NutriMill Dough Enhancer 16oz Bag
- 2 slightly beaten eggs
- 6-7 cups white bread flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup melted butter
- Garlic salt Parmesan cheese
- Place all of the ingredients in order into a Bosch Bread Mixer or a very large bowl to mix and knead by hand (except the melted butter, garlic, and cheese). The recipe calls for 6-7 cups of white bread flour…you add flour until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Knead by hand or machine for 8-10 minutes. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise. Roll the dough out after the first rise and cut with knife or pizza cutter into desired shapes. Dip in melted butter and place onto greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle with garlic salt, parmesan cheese or any desired seasoning of choice. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise one more time. Remove plastic wrap and bake at 350 degrees for 12-20 minutes depending on the size of breadsticks you make. Do not overbake.
Please let me know what you put on your homemade breadsticks, I love to hear what you do and share your comments with my readers.
Awesome reader tips:
Lisa: To make them even easier, you can spread dough into a cake pan and let rise. Then just before putting into oven, score the dough into sticks and sprinkle with toppings.
My favorite things: