There are so many uses and health benefits of coconut oil. I keep learning more and more each day about new ways it can be used. You can substitute coconut oil for other oils in many recipes. I have been using it now for a few years and learn something new every day how I can use it. Coconut oil is a thick waxy solid substance but melts or becomes oily in your hand from the warmth almost immediately.
In fact here in Southern Utah if the room becomes too warm it will become a liquid on the counter.
25 Ways To Use Coconut Oil
1. You can use it as a lotion for your skin
2. You can lighten some dark spots on your skin when it is rubbed directly on those dark spots
3. Great makeup remover-my granddaughters and daughters always use this
4. Diaper cream-rub on diaper rash
5. Daily supplement for energy
6. Natural chapped lip salve
7. Helps soothe eczema
8. Replace it with equal amounts of vegetable oil in cooking recipes
9. Add one tablespoon in hot tea to help recover from a cold
10. It’s preferred for high-temperature cooking over olive or other vegetable oils
11. Helps reduce the itch and irritation from mosquito bites
12. Helps with your pet’s dry skin if rubbed on dry spots
13. Use on your hands after cleaning with water—-coconut oil softens your dry skin
14. Nail cuticle softener
15. Helps clear up cold sores
16. Ingesting coconut oil can help with your allergies
17. Ingesting it can help with mental awareness
18. Smoothies-use coconut as an additive for nutritional benefit
19. Stops flaky, dry elbows if used daily
20. Helps with hemorrhoids when used topically
21. Great cooking oil to fry foods
22. Helps fight yeast infections
23. Natural bug repellant-just add some mint essential oil to it
24. Teeth whitening product
25. Helps soothe the itch from chicken pox or poison ivy
These are only twenty-five uses…..how do you use your coconut oil? This is the one I buy in the smaller containers: Linda’s
Coconut Oil-Updated as of 3/24/2015:
26. It’s odorless and colorless (just oily)
27. It’s my favorite essential oil carrier (it helps soothe sensitive skin) sometimes oils can be too strong for some people
27. Fractionated coconut oil never goes rancid because there is no oxidation. Certain brands can have an indefinite shelf-life but you must research the brand as stated below
28. If you mix it with your favorite essential oil it will reduce evaporation
29. It doesn’t clog your skin pores
30. It will not aggravate your skin problems (if you have questions about this always consult your doctor)
Food Storage Moms: First Aid Kits by Food Storage Moms. Please check the brand of coconut oil you buy because they all have expiration dates. I store more coconut oil than any other oil because it stores longer. Every brand has a different shelf-life, I wish I could say how many years but I can’t. It’s about temperature and brand. Please do your research on the brand you decide to buy.
Ideas from our awesome readers:
31. Melia uses it on her granola every morning!
32. Lindsay mentioned she uses it for sunburns. It helps with the pain and peeling!
33. Julie likes to replace it for butter on her pancakes!
34. Mare, I use mine for cooking, baking, in all my salves and lotions, to condition my hair, instead of butter on toast, biscuits, pancakes, etc., and, if you know any coffee drinkers, have them try one to two tablespoons in very hot coffee, whir it up in the blender and you have a yummy, healthy, cappuccino type drink. It’s, also, great for seasoning cast iron.