20 Items To Start Your Food Storage Today. Have you asked yourself lately, where or how do I even start a food storage list? Years ago most people stored wheat, rice, sugar and beans. I am talking one hundred pound barrels of each. Mine were green buckets. Yes, I had a wheat grinder that you would crank for hours and be lucky to get two to four cups of freshly ground flour. I swear this is why I made white bread for 40 years.
Then I heard about electric wheat grinders. What? I can have whole wheat flour that is fresh without tennis elbow? You may have heard me mention, start with fresh ingredients and you will make fabulous bread! There is no secret to making bread, except start with fresh ingredients. And a good recipe. Wheat Bread Recipe or White Bread Recipe.
Then, I learned about Hard White Wheat….oh precious, sweet, fluffy, whole wheat bread. So you will see why wheat is my second item I would suggest.
My 20 Items To Start Your Food Storage Today:
1. Water for drinking, washing dishes, washing clothes. We need a minimum amount of water for each of the following purposes:
- 1 gallon per day per person to stay hydrated. If you live in a HOT area you might need more.
- 4 gallons per day per person allows for personal hygiene, washing of dishes, etc.
- 5 to 12 gallons per day would be needed for a conventional toilet
- 1/2 to two gallons for a pour flush latrine.
- This is critical for your food storage today because we need water to go with everything below
2. Wheat for grinding, sprouting, cereals, muffins, pancakes and the list goes on and on. Please teach your neighbors and friends to make bread. Take a class, you will save so much money and you will know what is in your bread when you serve it.
3. Grains- Kamut, Spelt, Barley, Millet, White Quinoa, Red Quinoa, Black Quinoa, Rainbow Quinoa. White rice stores longer than brown rice. Brown rice is healthier but goes rancid fairly quickly because of the fat content. These are just a few grains to start with…..
4. Extra cans of whatever you eat everyday, or every week. Not everyone can afford to buy several #10 cans every week or month. So buy 1-10 cans of smaller items of food products you know you can use throw a meal to together. My choice would be cream of chicken soup or canned tomatoes. I can make most anything with these two items added to the rest of today’s list.
5. Canned tuna or chicken. It’s all about protein. It is not frozen and only needs a can opener. This is critical for your food storage today.
6. Beans, beans, beans. We all need the protein. Plus they are usually pretty inexpensive.
Freeze Dried Vegetables
8. Freeze dried vegetables are awesome because they cook faster, last longer than dehydrated, in most cases (depends on the type), read your labels. Some freeze dried veggies taste great right out of the can.
Freeze Dried Fruits
9. Freeze dried fruits- most all freeze dried fruits, you can eat right out of the can.
11. Eggs- by now you know my egg of choice for storage is OvaEasy Eggs. They taste like eggs because they are eggs. Yes, it is a shock when you first open the can and the crystals are slightly orange. Once the eggs start to cook its like magic they turn to yellow like the color we are used too seeing. They taste fabulous too!
PLEASE NOTE****thanks to two readers: RECALL
12. Spices- you can make most any recipe with just a few spices. Look in your pantry and decide the 5-10 spices that are your absolute favorites. I would want cinnamon and basil to start with. Please tell me your favorites….
14. Peanut butter- in a jar or powdered (you can slip some jam into this number #14)
15. Honey, sugar or sweetener of choice
17. Oil- olive, coconut, vegetable or butter. I buy canned butter, I have yet to taste a powdered butter I can tolerate taste wise. I would rather do without butter than eat some of those. I do need oil to make my bread and cook certain food combinations.
18. Pasta, pasta, pasta-it stores fairly well for about 8 years depending on the temperature of the storage area and the type of pasta. Who doesn’t love pasta?
19. Salba Chia– the nutrients are so valuable to consume.
20. Chocolate….I have to have chocolate. Period. Preferably dark chocolate for those moments when you just need a treat, or to make cookies!! I am adding cocoa to this #20.
Please start today to choose some of these for your food storage today. Not tomorrow. Today…you will be glad you did.