Have you asked yourself lately, where or how do I even start a food storage list? Years ago most people stored wheat, rice, sugar and beans. I am talking one hundred pound barrels of each. Mine were green buckets. Yes, I had a wheat grinder that you would crank for hours and be lucky to get two to four cups of freshly ground flour. I swear this is why I made white bread for 40 years. Then I heard about electric wheat grinders. What? I can have whole wheat flour that is fresh without tennis elbow? You may have heard me mention, start with fresh ingredients and you will make fabulous bread! There is no secret to making bread, except start with fresh ingredients. And a good recipe. Wheat Bread Recipe or White Bread Recipe.
Then, I learned about Hard White Wheat….oh precious, sweet, fluffy, whole wheat bread. So you will see why wheat is my second item I would suggest.
1. Water for drinking, washing dishes, washing clothes. We need a minimum amount of water for each of the following purposes:
2. Wheat for grinding, sprouting, cereals, muffins, pancakes and the list goes on and on. Please teach your neighbors and friends to make bread. Take a class, you will save so much money and you will know what is in your bread when you serve it.
3. Grains- Kamut, Spelt, Barley, Millet, White Quinoa, Red Quinoa, Black Quinoa, Rainbow Quinoa. White rice stores longer than brown rice. Brown rice is healthier but goes rancid fairly quickly because of the fat content. These are just a few grains to start with…..
4. Extra cans of whatever you eat everyday, or every week. Not everyone can afford to buy several #10 cans every week or month. So buy 1-10 cans of smaller items of food products you know you can use throw a meal to together. My choice would be cream of chicken soup or canned tomatoes. I can make most anything with these two items added to the rest of today’s list.
5. Canned tuna or chicken. It’s all about protein. It is not frozen and only needs a can opener.
6. Beans, beans, beans. We all need the protein. Plus they are usually pretty inexpensive.
7. Dehydrated vegetables are great for making soups. We must remember dehydrated foods do not last as long as freeze dried. BUT they are cheaper and work great.
8. Freeze dried vegetables are awesome because they cook faster, last longer than dehydrated, in most cases (depends on the type), read your labels. Some freeze dried veggies taste great right out of the can.
9. Freeze dried fruits- most all freeze dried fruits, you can eat right out of the can.
10. Instant or powdered milk. Powdered buttermilk is great for making muffins, breading veggies, meats, etc.
11. Eggs- by now you know my egg of choice for storage is OvaEasy Eggs. They taste like eggs because they are eggs. Yes, it is a shock when you first open the can and the crystals are slightly orange. Once the eggs start to cook its like magic they turn to yellow like the color we are used too seeing. They taste fabulous too!
PLEASE NOTE****thanks to 2 readers: RECALL
12. Spices- you can make most any recipe with just a few spices. Look in your pantry and decide the 5-10 spices that are your absolute favorites. I would want cinnamon and basil to start with. Please tell me your favorites….
13. Cheese- freeze dried cheese is awesome to start collecting one #10 can at a time. If we had a grid down we will not be worrying about cholesterol, in my opinion.
14. Peanut butter- in a jar or powdered (you can slip some jam into this number #14)
15. Honey, sugar or sweetener of choice
17. Oil- olive, coconut, vegetable or butter. I buy canned butter, I have yet to taste a powdered butter I can tolerate taste wise. I would rather do without butter than eat some of those. I do need oil to make my bread and cook certain food combinations.
18. Pasta, pasta, pasta-it stores fairly well for about 8 years depending on the temperature of the storage area and the type of pasta. Who doesn’t love pasta?
19. Salba Chia- the nutrients are so valuable to consume.
20. Chocolate….I have to have chocolate. Period. Preferably dark chocolate for those moments when you just need a treat, or to make cookies!! I am adding cocoa to this #20.